Friends of WMV,
I’m pleased to share with you that Volume.com is bringing Season Two of the #1 Global Music Business Podcast Emily White’s How to Build a Sustainable Music Career & Collect All Revenue Streams live to Milwaukee!
Please join me in attending the live sessions at Nō Studios! If you can’t attend live, don’t worry – in that same link at the beginning of this sentence there is information on how to attend virtually.
This is such an exciting series that I hope WMV musicians, patrons, venue partners and others will get behind, for several reasons:
- Emily White has been a guest on our podcast, led a workshop for our musicians and – alongside fellow #iVoted Festival teammates she has appeared as a panelist for our Community Talks event, this summer. Emily has been a longtime friend of WMV.
- Nō Studios has been a longtime venue partner, locally, with us – where we hold our Friday musician meetups, each week, in fact. We love this space, their mission and their vibe – it’s definitely always worth making a stop there!
- The content of this series could not be more perfect for what we at WMV like to encourage musicians to learn, in order to grow in their independent business work as artists.
- The featured guest lineup is phenomenal… People YOU need to know!
- You get your own copy of the book, when you sign-up. If you know me, you know I’m all about great resources… this is absolutely essential reading.
More information below. I look forward to seeing you there!
How to Build a Sustainable Music Career & Collect All Revenue Streams is the #1 Music Business podcast globally, charting on six continents with listeners in 140+ countries. Best-selling author, industry veteran and #iVoted Festival founder Emily White will cover the modern music industry in full and solve musicians’ problems in real time via livestream on Volume.com in front of a live
audience at Academy Award winner John Ridley’s Nō Studios. Season two debuts January 10, 2023.
Emily will take musicians through their process from recording to release and beyond throughout this series.
She presents this information in a clear and methodical manner that is applicable to artists’ home markets and
shares how musicians can grow their careers nationally and internationally from there. While also ensuring
they are not missing a single revenue stream along the way.
Musicians and music industry professionals can tune in live and later restream via Volume.com where White
takes attendees through the modern music industry step by step via 12 podcast episodes.
These live workshops are based on White’s Amazon #1 best-selling book of the same name. This is on the
heels of the hit podcast’s Season One with guests including Justin Vernon of Bon Iver, Imogen Heap, Run
the Jewels’ Manager Amaechi Uzoigwe, Donald S. Passman, Zoë Keating, Warped Tour Founder Kevin
Lyman, Bandcamp Founder Ethan Diamond, Wilco’s Pat Sansone, Kam Franklin of The Suffers, Brian
Viglione of The Dresden Dolls and more.
Says White, “I wrote this book after years of musicians asking to ‘pick my brain,’ and found myself having the
same conversations repeatedly. I figured if I wrote this all down it would then be accessible to help even more
musicians. Similarly, in my years of running management companies, every time we took on an artist we were
finding money for them left and right. It occurred to me that if this is happening to national and international
acts, then what about everyone else? Bringing the book to life with handpicked guests in podcast form was a
no-brainer. I’m thrilled to return with Season Two via Volume and Nō Studios to cover this material in an
updated and live format that allows me to answer musicians’ questions in real-time so the audience can learn
and grow together. Season two will be through the lens of artists’ home markets by teaching them how to
methodically grow via an interactive experience courtesy of Volume.com’s livestream platform.”
Season Two will be recorded live at Oscar winner John Ridley’s Nō Studios in both Ridley and White’s
hometown of Milwaukee and will be available for musicians and those interested and involved in the music
industry to participate live or on-demand via Volume.com.
Adds White, “The information in this podcast is out there. I’ve just never seen it put in order. Music conferences
struggle to present the modern industry in a methodical order due to panelists’ schedules. This format allows
me to guide musicians through each step of their career so it grows in a sustainable manner forever.”
How to Build a Sustainable Music Career & Collect All Revenue Streams – Season Two
● E1: Get Your Art Together – Tuesday, January 10 at 6:30 PM CT
● E2: Pre-Recording Marketing Foundation w/ Kennita Hickman – Saturday, January 14 at 12:30 PM CT
● E3: Get Your Business Affairs Together & Fair Compensation w/ Karl Fowlkes, Esq. – Tuesday January
17 at 6:30 PM CT
● E4: How to Record with or without a Budget w/ Ana Ochoa – Saturday, January 21 at 12:30 PM CT
● E5: Music Publishing Isn’t Scary or Confusing w/ Songtrust + How to Land a Sync Placement w/ Julia
Pernicone of Songtrust – Tuesday, January 24 at 6:30 PM CT
● E6: Setting up Your Release & Distribution Plan w/ Christine Barnum: Chief Revenue Officer @ CD Baby – Saturday January 28 at 12:30p PM CT; Presented by Bandzoogle
● E7: How to Market with or without a Budget w/ Evan Rytlewski of Pitchfork & NPR – Tuesday, January 31
at 6:30 PM CT; Presented by Bandzoogle
● E8: Your Live Strategy & Efficient Touring w/ Matt Beringer of The Pabst Theater Group – Saturday,
February 4 at 12:30 PM CT
● E9: Merch Re-Con w/ Christopher Moon of Ambient Inks – Monday, February 6 @ 6:30 PM CT
● E10: Revenue Stream Checklist w/ Lachi – Saturday, February 11 at 12:30 PM CT; Presented by
● E11: Repeat & Grow! w/ John Ridley – Monday, February 13 at 6:30 PM CT
● E12: When Do I Need an Attorney, a Business Manager, and/or a Manager? Defining an Artist’s
Traditional Team w/ Erinn Knight – Saturday, February 18 at 2:30 PM CT; In partnership with Music
Volume.com is a 24/7 free live stream platform that allows engagement between artists and their fans to help
artists build and monetize their craft, from ticket sales, subscriptions, merch purchases, or by using Volume’s
unique online tip system. Volume differentiates itself by connecting all viewers and performers with first-class sound and visual quality. Their multi-layered audio effects, plugins, and soundcheck create a unique and seamless experience for both
performers and audience members. They celebrate all artistic expression, be that in music, podcasts, comedy,
or even sports and provide a fun, welcoming and vibrant community for all.
About Nō Studios
Nō Studios derives from the wordplay between a rejection artists often hear, nō 能, the Sino-Japanese root
word for “skill” or “talent”. Founded by Oscar winner and Milwaukee native, John Ridley, the desire behind the
40,000 square-foot headquarters is to create a collaborative workspace, hybrid experience platform, and social
community that offers an environment for artists and activists to come together. The historic building features a
state-of-the-art screening room, performance stage, café bar, gallery, offices, co-working space and rooftop
lounge and deck.
More About Emily White
White recently wrapped up producing #iVoted Festival 2022 with an all women C-Suite that created the largest
festival in the world – all to increase voter turnout. She is an Amazon #1 best-selling author of How to Build a
Sustainable Music Career and Collect All Revenue Streams as well as Interning 101; both of which are
coursebooks around the globe. White hosts the #1 Music Business podcast globally of the same name and her
professional bio can be found here.